Iran says it targeted American base after fresh US strikes

Remote Jobs From Home
0
Skip to content
Iran says it targeted American base after fresh US strikes 1 hour ago Share Save Add BBC Nardine SaadandAlys Davies US Navy via Getty Images In this handout photo provided by the U.S. Navy, A U.S. Sailor signals to an F/A-18E Super Hornet aircraft, attached to Strike Fighter Squadron 87, on the flight deck of the world's largest aircraft carrier, USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78), while operating in support of Operation Epic Fury on March 2, 2026 in the Mediterranean Sea.US Navy via Getty Images The strikes come amid a fragile ceasefire and protracted negotiations to end the war, which began with the US and Israel striking Iran on 28 Feb (file photo) Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) has said it targeted an American air base in the region, after fresh US strikes on southern Iran overnight. Kuwait, which hosts a US base, said it had intercepted "hostile missile and drone threats", but did not confirm the target. The Iranian missile launch came after the US shot down Iranian drones over the Strait of Hormuz and struck a military site in Bandar Abbas, a strategic port city in southern Iran. It is the second time in three days that the US has attacked targets in Iran - saying they were conducted in self-defence. The renewed hostilities threaten a fragile ceasefire between Washington and Tehran. The IRGC said the attack on the US air base took place in the early hours of Thursday morning and targeted "the source" of earlier US strikes on Iran, according to state broadcaster IRIB. US Central Command (Centcom) said Iran's attack on Kuwait was an "egregious ceasefire violation" that occurred "hours after Iranian forces launched five one-way attack drones that posed a clear threat in and near the Strait of Hormuz". It said all the drones were intercepted and that a sixth drone launched from an Iranian ground control site in Bandar Abbas was also prevented. Centcom described its actions as "measured, purely defensive, and intended to maintain the ceasefire". Are US and Iran close to peace or sliding back to war? Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmail Baqai meanwhile condemned the US strikes and said they constituted a violation of the ceasefire. He added that the Islamic republic would "take all necessary measures to defend its national sovereignty", according to quotes cited by IRIB. Kuwait's foreign affairs ministry strongly condemned what it termed "criminal Iranian attacks that targeted" its territory. Earlier this week, the US confirmed a previous round of "self-defence" strikes on southern Iran on Monday in which they targeted Iranian missile sites and boats attempting to lay mines in the Strait, where thousands of commercial tanker ships are stranded as a result of the conflict. Centcom said those strikes were designed "to protect our troops from threats posed by Iranian forces". The US also imposed sanctions on the "Persian Gulf Strait Authority" – the Iranian body tasked with collecting payments from ships travelling through the Strait of Hormuz. Any ships that pay the authority could also be "exposed to the risk of sanctions", the US Treasury Department said in a statement. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent also warned Oman, a traditional US ally with a coast south of the strait, that Washington would not "tolerate any effort to impose a tolling system in the waterway". "Oman in particular should know that the US Treasury will aggressively target any actors involved," Bessent wrote in a post on X on Thursday. Iranian state TV had the day prior reported elements of what it called a draft agreement between Iran and the US - which included a claim that Oman would join Iran in managing a reopened Strait of Hormuz. Trump told reporters at a cabinet meeting later in the day: "Oman will behave just like everybody else, or we'll have to blow them up." One-fifth of the world's liquefied natural gas and oil normally pass through the shipping channel, and its closure has impacted global fuel trade. A BBC map of the Strait of Hormuz region, showing the narrow strait between The Gulf to the west and the Gulf of Oman to the east. The north of the strait is the coast of Iran and the United Arab Emirates and Oman are to the south. Bandar Abbas is highlighted in red on the Iranian coast at the narrowest point of the strait. The map also labels Dubai and Abu Dhabi in the UAE on The Gulf coast. A small inset map shows the location of the region within the Middle East and between Africa and Asia. Iran's foreign ministry spokesman Baqai said on Monday that Tehran was collecting fees for "navigational services" and it would continue to manage traffic through the waterway. Bessent described it as the "Iranian military's latest attempt to extort global maritime trade" and "proof" Iran is "desperate for cash". The IRGC also said on Tuesday that it had downed a US drone and fired at a fighter jet and another drone that entered Iranian airspace, but did not specify when. Protracted negotiations have been taking place to end the three-month war that has choked traffic in the Strait of Hormuz and caused global energy prices to shoot up. During his cabinet meeting on Wednesday, Trump said that Iran was "negotiating on fumes", insisting that his war strategy will not be impacted by November's US midterm elections. "Maybe we have to go back and finish it, maybe we don't," he said. During that meeting, the president also urged Gulf nations to sign on to the Abraham Accords to normalise relations with Israel. Israel launched the war against Iran alongside the US on 28 February and is also embroiled in a war with Iranian-backed Hezbollah in Lebanon. Trump has threatened to resume a large-scale bombing campaign if Iran does not agree to his terms. While Trump struck an optimistic note over the weekend, saying that a peace deal with Iran had been "largely negotiated", by Wednesday's cabinet meeting, he said that the US was "not satisfied". He said Tehran was "very much intent" on reaching an agreement to end the conflict, but added "so far they haven't gotten there", repeating Washington's willingness to resume strikes if one is not reached. His remarks came after Iranian state TV reported what it said were details of a draft agreement, which included reopening the Strait of Hormuz and the withdrawal of US forces from the region. The White House branded the text a "complete fabrication". Both sides signalled progress had been made towards a deal late last week, prompting speculation an announcement was close. However, Tehran soon cautioned a deal was "not imminent" while Trump said he had instructed his negotiators "not to rush into" one. More on this story Israel issues evacuation order for swathes of southern Lebanon 'Like a prisoner being released' - Relief for Iranians as internet shutdown ends US launches new strikes on Iran, targeting missile sites and boats United States Israel Middle East Iran war Iran Related Are US and Iran close to peace or sliding back to war? US justice department launches criminal investigation into Trump accuser E Jean Carroll Drag queen Pattie Gonia fights trademark lawsuit by Patagonia More from the BBC A fibre-optic drone flies in a clear blue sky across the border from Lebanon into Israel. It has a spool of fibre optic wire handing under a chassis, supported by four propeller blades around a blue rectangular battery. Learning from Ukraine, Hezbollah is now using fibre-optic drones to hit Israel Fibre-optic drones are now Hezbollah's primary weapon against Israel's soldiers and civilians. 27 mins ago People walk past a ruined building following an Israeli strike in Gaza City Gaza City hospitals say several killed in strike, as Israel targets Hamas leaders At least five children were reportedly killed in the strike, which appears to have targeted a Hamas commander. 45 mins ago A soldier in camouflage uniform and four other people - two wearing black high-viz jackets and hats, and a woman with long hair and a white shirt and a man with a dark grey T-shirt look over a surrounding wall into what appears to be the gutted section of a building that has been damaged Israel hits Lebanese capital in 'targeted strike' Beirut had until now largely been spared even as both Israel and Hezbollah accused each other of breaking last month's ceasefire. 1 hr ago Groups of people stand outside the entrance of the British Museum in London. British Museum postpones Jewish Culture Month event over protest fears The Campaign Against Antisemitism says the decision marked a "victory" for the "antisemitic mob". 1 hr ago A middle-aged couple on a beach. They are smiling. British hostage couple at 'breaking point' - son Craig and Lindsay Foreman are on hunger strike after their phone access was cut off in May. 2 hrs ago Home News Sport Business Technology Health Culture Arts Travel Earth Audio Video Live Weather BBC Shop BritBox BBC in other languages Follow BBC on: Terms of Use Subscription Terms About the BBC Privacy Policy Cookies Accessibility Help Contact the BBC Advertise with us Do not share or sell my info BBC.com Help & FAQs Content Index Set Preferred Source Copyright 2026 BBC. All rights reserved. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read about our approach to external linking.
Tags

Post a Comment

0Comments

Post a Comment (0)